Please note we are closed on Bank Holiday Monday, click here to view the latest information on how to access our services.

  • Pet Travel after Brexit 31st October 2019

As the 31st rapidly approaches it appears that the UK will be leaving without a deal. Who knows what will actually happen? Leaving with a No deal Brexit  will have masses of implications if you have any plans to travel with your pets and it is vital that you check what is required for your trip before you travel.

Below is a summary of advice from the Government.

Currently the UK is likely to be treated as an unlisted country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme if it leaves without a deal.
To make sure your pet is able to travel from the UK to the EU after Brexit, you should contact us at least 4 months before travelling to get the latest advice. Here is a link to the Government pet travel page -
If we become an unlisted country then - 

A current EU blue pet passport issued in the UK will not be valid for travel to the EU.

You’ll need to take the following steps:

1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before it can travel. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination (whether that’s a booster or initial vaccination). Your vet may recommend a booster rabies vaccination before this test.

2. Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.

3. The results of the blood test must show a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml.

4. You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.

5. The vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in an animal health certificate.
You might find that the blood test result is not successful despite your pet being up to date with its rabies vaccinations. If this happens, you’ll need a repeat vaccination and another blood test taken at least 30 days after the repeat vaccination. If time is short or you would like to keep costs down, we would recommend giving a rabies vaccination (regardless of due date) and taking a blood test 30 days later to maximise the chance of passing this test.

Dogs travelling from the UK to EU listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland and Malta) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (1 to 5 days) before arriving in one of those countries.
You will not be able to travel with your pet if you have not completed these steps.

You also will need to get a health certificate.

You must also take your pet to an official vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an animal health certificate.

You must take proof of:
1. your pet’s vaccination history
2. your pet’s microchipping date
3. a successful rabies antibody blood test result
If you’re travelling with your dog directly to Finland, Republic of Ireland or Malta it must have additional treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis). Your vet must enter full details on the animal health certificate following treatment.

Your pet’s animal health certificate will be valid for:

• 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
• onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue
• re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue

On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter through a designated Travellers’ point of entry (TPE).  At the TPE, you may need to present proof of:
1. your pet’s microchip
2. rabies vaccination
3. successful blood test results
4. tapeworm treatment (if required)
5. your pet’s health certificate

Repeat trips to the EU
Pets do not need a repeat blood test before travelling again if they have had a successful blood test and have an up-to-date subsequent rabies vaccination history. But your pet will need a new health certificate for each trip to the EU.
To get a new health certificate you must take your pet to an official vet no more than 10 days before you travel. Again, you must show proof of your pet’s:
• microchipping date
• rabies vaccination history
• successful rabies antibody blood test result
Additional rules apply if you’re travelling to Malta, Republic of Ireland or Finland.

Return to the UK
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:
• an EU pet passport (issued in the EU or in the UK prior to Brexit)
• the animal health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued)
• a UK pet health certificate (for travel into the UK only)
• Check the routes before you travel. You must travel using approved routes. Your documents and microchip will be checked when entering England, Scotland or Wales (Great Britain). Different rules apply in Northern Ireland.

There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering Great Britain from the EU after Brexit.
You do not have to travel on an approved route if you travel to Great Britain from other UK countries, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland.
Talk to your vet about what preparations you need to make before you travel from these places.

Travel from countries not free from tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis)
You need to take your dog to a vet no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entering the UK for an approved tapeworm treatment. This requirement will not change after the UK leaves the EU.
You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Republic of Ireland or Malta.

If you are unsure of what your pet needs to have, please get in touch on 01483 455355 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  and we would be happy to point you in the right direction.