Please click here to view the latest information on how to access our services.

  • Keep your pets safe this Easter!

A shocking new survey involving over 7000 dog owners by the Dogs Trust has revealed that over 48% of pet dogs have eaten chocolate intended for humans, and over 5% have become seriously ill from it. Of these, 15% have required urgent veterinary treatment and in extreme cases the dogs sadly died from the effects of chocolate poisoning.

To prevent the number of dogs that end up visiting the vet with chocolate poisoning, Dogs Trust is today launching its "Chocs Away" awareness drive after the survey revealed that 4 in 10 dogs found the chocolate themselves after it was left in easy to find places in the home.

So, if you are partial to Easter eggs and want to keep your dog safe, follow these simple rules.
Keep your "Chocs Away" - this means hidden out of sight and unavailable to your dog
Never feed your dog chocolate intended for humans

If your egg is missing and you suspect your dog is the culprit, contact your vet straight away.  Often we can make them sick immediately so that the theobromine in the chocolate is not absorbed and your dog will not get ill.

Look out for any of the following symptoms;

  • vomiting containing blood,
  • a sore tummy,
  • excessive thirst,
  • excitability,
  • drooling,
  • rapid heart rate
  • and in severe cases, eplileptic-type fits
  • If your dog is displaying any of these signs then take him immediately to your vet

There is no antidote for theobromine poisoning with treatment being symptomatic. Therefore, the sooner treatment is implemented, the greater the chance of recovery

If you want to treat your dog this Easter, stick to natural doggy snacks that are kinder to your canine